Left to right: #12 Light Red, #10A Chinese Red, #10 Fire Red, #9 Scarlet--2 pieces, #6 Deep Orange, and last a tri-color piece
These are all examples from my latest batch of low-immersion dyed cottons with Procion MX Dyes. This run was an experiment using the range of red to orange on my shelf. I chose not to use #13 Fuchsia, which might have been included.
Procion MX Dyes give brillant results, and I'll admit this FQ is one of my favorites.
Looking at the array above, the transition is slight. The 3 fabrics below demonstrate it better moving from a pink to red to orange.
Low immersion dyed fabrics are strikingly beautiful, and they aren't terribly difficult to produce as long as you follow the science part of it. The art side of it is yet another story, and that is where I spend most of my time working. Mixing dyes to produce other colors, or that one color you need, is a mix of art and luck. I record everything, and it's already served me well. I have test mixes I am eager to repeat, and I few I hope never happen again.
Viewing the fabric in the mixed liquid dye is a tough way to judge the final color.
Standing at the sink rinsing the fabric started out as a disappointment. It seemed like all the colors were alike while wet, but after they dried they showed their beauty. And yet, even the color lover in me was a little shocked at how loud they were. (What in the world was I thinking?)
Balancing the Equation
I grabbed fabric. That was better. The deep orange looked richer next to a dark brown.
The watermelon-y red seemed more tolerable when paired with Sky Blue.
As a matter of fact, Sky Blue paired fairly well with the whole array...
...as did Better Black.
Ann Johnston in Color by Design shows a process of working with 2 colors at each end of your fabric, and gradually blending in the middle. This is an entirely different method as the dye is painted on the fabric, kept damp to cure, and finally rinsed.
I had several cups with small amounts of dye left, and did several pieces in various colors. I worked over recycled kraft paper, and when I had the dye as I wanted it, I rolled it up in the paper. I laid them in plastic shoeboxes with lids to maintain moisture, and will unpack and rinse the cured fabric today. I can't wait!
Project Quilting Season 7
Voting Open for 1st Challenge
Voting is now open for Project Quilting Season 7 Week 1, and I've joined the link up. If you are inclined to visit--and hopefully like this entry best, I would be pleased if you would voice your opinion, and vote for it. There are many lovely entries to check out, though, so don't let me sway your opinion.
Until next time...
Come on, Doxie girls.
Let's go sew.
Linking up with~
Live Love Quilt
Show and Tell with Bambi
Show Off Saturday
Whoomp! There IT is!