This wall hanging laid in a pile with several others for many months. This is typical for me. The main design takes a lot of energy, and then I'm reluctant to put on the last touches. In my opinion, the binding can make or break the whole project. Sure, we can pick something that's just okay--middle-of-the-road choices happen to a lot of quilts, but a good one is harder to pick. Sometimes it is worth the wait. What do you think?
I used at least 4 colors of No. 8 Perle cotton for hand quilting, and echoed the piecing. The batting is a heavier weight poly I found at a warehouse locally, and was ideal for wall hangings. It's no longer available, sadly, but I like the weight it gives the piece.
One reason I hesitated at adding the binding was the way this piece had so much vertical movement. Squint, and you see tall, black columns stand out. The colors are purely background. When I laid a dark binding at the top and bottom, it stopped the movement. The problem for me was how to maintain this vertical presence, but still add a binding.
I opted to add the black batik to the sides. I chose a different print for right and left. But the top and bottom were a little different. I added a blind binding by trimming the seam allowance very close, and turning it all the way to the back of the piece. This was a new technique for me, and I was pleased it turned without a thick edge.