Both blocks are pieced here with sashing, but I thought it need something dark on the bottom to resist the grunge at college. I pulled this graphic print fabric out, and I like it. (So does dear daughter who is getting this bag.) Now to decide how much of it to use. The bottom for sure, but maybe handles and sides, too. Or, if there's not enough, I have other black and white prints. Let's see what works here.
I started by adding batting to the back of each block with 505. I found enough scrap to just cover it, and since I wanted the batting 1/2" shorter on all sides, it was perfect. That 1/2" is going to be in the seam allowance, and you don't want all that bulk in your seams.
Next use the 505 to add a backing. This is plain muslin. No one will see the backing, but you need it for the quilting to grab onto. This is a cheap fabric, so I made sure I had a little extra to hang onto while machine quilting.
Two done here. Now add the machine quilting.
Here's a close up of the machine quilting. I did random curli-ques in the yellow and red.
I wanted this bag to have some capacity--not a wimpy tote. This girl will stash books, a sweatshirt, water bottle, etc. She needs some room in it.
I guessed a 5" strip would work for the gusset (bottom and sides). Lose a 1/2" each side brings it down to 4", and the bulky fabric will reduce it a little more.
Again, I found odd batting scraps to use, and 505 adhered batting and backing.
I cut two 5" strips as long as I could off my 1/2 yard of fabric. That would be about 44" long. I needed a longer length, so I split one in half. You need to think about where your seams will lie on the bag before sewing, though. The bottom strip is a special case. You don't want your seams joining the strip to end up in a tough place to have to sew through. So I made the bottom gusset long enough to cover the bottom and come partway up the side. No precision here. I was guesstimating.
My seam won't hit right IN the corner, but up a little way.
I machine quilted each strip in a back and forth pattern. I wanted something that would add strength and stability. I cut apart the longer strip after I quilted it.
Round your corner on the block at each bottom corner only. I used my tea cup here. Trim.
Lay the gusset around the block being careful to balance the bottom gusset so side seams are visually equal.
Now, pin, pin, pin, paying attention to the corners.
Don't be skimpy with your corners here. It doesn't need to look pretty now. A little extra will not hurt, and you don't want a hole here. Use your machine and baste. 4 mm works well.
Remove your pins, and open the bag to see how the seams turned out. Ooooh, the color combo looks exciting now! If everything works, go back and sew with a regular length stitch.
Pin the next side on with right sides together. I pinned up at the top of this side so I would made sure the rim of the bag would be even, and then moved down to the corner where I knew I'd be bunching up the fabric.
Sew using a basting stitch, and then sew. Woolah! It's starting to resemble a bag now.
Here's a shot of the inside. Don't let it worry you. We'll add a liner when we do the shoulder strap.
Good night, you Doxie girls. My Effy has been patiently waiting for me.
See you tomorrow at Heritage Arts Day.
Post a Comment
Thoughtful comments are Honey to My Heart! Thank you for taking time to leave such words. Feel free to email me directly with any specific questions at email@example.com
Pink Doxie Mama