What a Difference Good Lighting Makes!
After bemoaning the lack of light in the studio, I made a trip to IKEA. I bought 2 standing lights with bright bulbs, and it was like summer again just using one of them. I decided to move the mess I'd accumulated by sewing in my living room back to the studio. It took most of the day to get things back into order, and clean up.
Several days ago I started playing with some 5" blocks, and figuring out how to use some vintage fabric. Limiting the choices of fabric you have to use can be liberating. You force yourself to consider some that would never cross your radar any other time. I happened to have a stack of gingham, but nothing really in the colors I was working with. The nearest choice was a charcoal gingham. I know it isn't a true black because that was there, too. It was a nice contrast with the pink and violet, and even leaned toward the grey in the floral border. Gingham of any kind makes me think of the 1960's and 70's, and clothes I wore as a child.
The pictures show the quilt at 62" x 92". Another border of pink will take it out to a twin size at 72" x 92". After quilting it should be closer to 70" x 90".
All these fabrics were grabbed from a box of donated fabric. Unlikely bedfellows, but they seem to play well together.
The Houses On Cherry Ridge
I needed to free the design wall so I buckled down and sewed this together. It's a nice 60" square, and I'm debating on just how to finish it into a 60" x 80". I may do one more row for the top and bottom, and finish it off with half blocks of the L's. I have lots of these fabric already cut. I could see a nice navy border as a good way to complete the edges. I hung the pink to see how it might look too. It never hurts to audition your fabric options.
We're having a mini class this afternoon, and I'm still not quite ready. I'm off. Here's wishing your day is full of fabric and sunshine!
Come on, Doxie girls.
Let's go sew.